Edward C. Swanson
Mayor Edward Swanson was born in Detroit and resided there until going into the U.S. Army in 1951. Ed is a Veteran of the Korean conflict, serving fourteen months in combat.
He attended the Detroit School System, Henry Ford Trade School, Highland Park Junior College, and the University of Detroit. Ed graduated from Wayne State University in Mortuary Science. Having worked in the funeral industry since 1954, he has been a funeral director for 42 years.
Ed has been married to his wife Elaine for over 50 years. They have three children, and seven grandchildren.
He is a member of the following organizations:
• Michigan Funeral Directors Association
• National Funeral Directors Association
• Model T Ford Club of America
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9507 Madison Heights (Life Member)
• Madison Heights Rotary
• Library Advisory Board
• Planning Commission
• Downtown Development Authority
• Brownfield Redevelopment Authority
• Board of Directors at St. John Oakland Hospital in Madison Heights.
Serving as Mayor of Madison Heights since November of 1999, Ed has been a resident of Oakland County since 1960 and a resident of Madison Heights off and on since 1961. He plans on spending the rest of his life in Madison Heights and will continue to work as long as conditions permit.