Tips for Preventing and Avoiding Dog Bites
- Spay or neuter your dog. Dogs who have not been spayed or neutered are three times more likely to bite than are dogs who have been spayed or neutered.
- Train and socialize your dog so that he/she is comfortable being around people, including friends, neighbors and children.
- If you don't know how your dog will react to a new situation, be cautious. When an unfamiliar person comes to the door, be sure to safely restrain your dog in another room before opening the door.
- Don't pet a dog, even your own, without letting him see and sniff you first.
- Don't disturb a dog who is sleeping, eating or caring for puppies.
- If a dog attacks, you may be able to decrease injury by "feeding" him your jacket, purse, bicycle or anything else that can serve as a barrier between you and the dog.‚‹