Who Should Apply for a Permit

State law requires that a building permit be issued to the owner in fee of the property or his "authorized agent" (i.e. your contractor or attorney etc.). As a qualified homeowner you may pull all the permits required to work on your home provided that you are the occupant and actually doing the work.

You may not obtain a homeowner permit for a rental or investment property.


The Building Department recommends that if you are not doing the work you have the contractor(s) pull the permits. This insures that they are licensed and have the necessary insurance to do your project If you pull the permit, anyone you hire to work on your project must be State licensed and registered with the City.

Always make sure the contractor gives you a copy of the permit before any work is done, and that the job card is posted on the front of the building in clear view.