1950s Timeline

1959


John B. Simonds School and Woodland School built in Lamphere School District.

1959


Madison Heights Marauders, sponsored by Giles-Everingham VFW Post 9507 and Thomas Edison American Legion Post 187, take honors as the most outstanding drum and bugle corps in a national competition in St. Paul, MN.

1959


New Madison Heights Post Office opens.

1959


Route approved for the construction of the Chrysler Freeway (I-75).

1959


Edward W Lawrence becomes City's first Municipal Judge.

1958


Construction begins on two new schools in the Madison School District: Madison High School on 11 Mile Road and Halfman Elementary School on Couzens.

1958


City Manager Jack P. Sweitzer is fired, and angry residents try to recall Mayor George S Horkey and Councilmembers Jerome A. Nowacki, Henry F. Pickering, Dean W Eggart, LeRoy M. Ainsley and Floyd J. Nykanen. Recall attempts fail.

1958


Madison Heights Kiwanis Club founded.

1957


Lamphere School District reverts to half-day class schedules, saying there is not enough money to hire 17 teachers and district income cannot match expenses. There is only enough money to pay teachers until April.

November 1, 1957


A decision is made to hold off on plans to expand the Madison Heights incinerator, much to the relief of area residents. Authority decides instead to purchase 164 acres in Troy to bury ashes and unburnable refuse.

1957


John Page Junior/Senior High built in the Lamphere District.

1957


Waldo E Lessenger Elementary School built in the Lamphere School District.

1957


Madison Heights Woman's Club joins Federation of Women's Clubs.

February 1956


Donald V. Smith, 30, is named the first City Manager.

1956


Madison Heights Rotary Club founded.

1956


New recreation center opens. First Recreation Commission appointed.

1956


James B. Edmonson Elementary School built in the Lamphere District.

December 8, 1955


December 8, 1955 Lloyd H. Ferguson becomes the City's first elected Mayor.

1955


Royal Oak Township Board sets up a drainage district for the John R and Osmun trunk sewers.

1955


Pigs from a 13 Mile Road farm get loose and wander through traffic at 13 Mile and Campbell Roads.

1955


Lamphere district schools go on half days to combat overcrowding.

1955


Madison Heights Woman's Club founded.

1955


S. Jerome Bronson chosen as first City Attorney.

January 17, 1955


Madison Heights finally becomes a City. Virginia M. Solberg, who was elected to the City Council by the largest margin, became de facto mayor. Other council members were John B. Michrina, Darrel K. Davis, Charles B. Edwards, Jr., Theodore Krenn and George Sergeant. Michrina served as Acting City Manager.

1954


Library moves to new Township Hall.

1953


Area gets its first large industrial building, Acme Industrial Products, at 12 Mile and John R.

1952


Col. C.V. Burnett, director of Detroit's Aviation Commission, seeks approval for the construction of Northeast Airport at 12 Mile and Dequindre. The plan is rejected. Instead, the South Oakland County Garbage and Rubbish Authority selects the site of the proposed airport runway at 12 Mile and John R for the construction of an incinerator.

1952


Madison Heights Police Sergeants Joseph Landino, Richard Travnikar and Frank Rutecki complete fingerprinting courses at the Detroit Police Academy and become expert instructors.

1952


New Township Hall is built. It was originally planned to be dedicated as a memorial to those who lost their lives in World War II.

1952


Another attempt is made to incorporate as a city. County once again rejects the proposal.

1952


Madison High Principal Fred C. Burgess is invited to serve on the reviewing committee for the North Central Accrediting Association.

1950


Two parks created - one as a memorial to veterans of World War I on Hudson and the other as a memorial to veterans of World War II south of 12 Mile.

1950


Federal Housing Administration building program results in the construction of 150 new homes.

1950


The former 5 and 10 cent store becomes B&C Market.

1950


The former site of Ponchartrain Kennel becomes the site of Woodland School. Monroe School is built at 25421 Alger.
1950s Era Scene Showing Mayor Lloyd Ferguson with Department of Public Works Worker