When do I need to file a Property Transfer Affidavit?
You must file this form whenever there is a transfer of ownership of real property (home/lot) even if a deed is not recorded. A transfer of ownership could occur if a land contract is signed, the owner of a property passes away and they have a trust or joint tenancy established, etc. Please contact the Assessing Department if you have any questions regarding a transfer of ownership. A Property Transfer Affidavit is required to be filed within 45 days of the transfer of ownership, if not, the City of Madison Heights levies a fine of $5 per day to a maximum of $200 for residential properties or a $25 per day to a maximum of $1,000 for commercial/industrial properties for failure to file this form. If you close through a real estate agent or attorney this should be supplied to you. The Assessor's Office can supply you with this form if needed, or download the form from the Assessing Department page.Property Transfer Affidavit (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. What characteristics about my property are maintained by the City?
2. What is an Assessment Change Notice and why is it important?
3. What is the responsibility of the Board of Review and why do they meet at various times of the year?
4. The Board of Review denied my assessment appeal. What can I do now?
5. When do I need to file a Property Transfer Affidavit?
6. What is the Principal Residence Affidavit and what happened to the homestead exemption?
7. I plan on moving out of my residence. Do I need to let the City know?
8. When are my property taxes due?
9. I pay my property taxes through my mortgage company. What happens when I pay off my mortgage?
10. I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income. My neighbor told me that I may be able to defer my summer property tax payment. Is there such a program?