The City’s legal services are contracted to several outside legal firms. The City Attorney, as called for in the City Charter, is appointed by the City Council. The City also retains the services of legal specialists in the areas of telecommunications, labor relations, liability claims and environmental protection.
Powers & Duties
The City Attorney’s responsibilities include:
• Providing legal representation and advising the City Council and City Administration;
• Representing the City in civil matters and prosecution of criminal matters;
• Preparing legal opinions and/or reviewing ordinances, resolutions and contracts;
• Presenting legal updates to City Council, and Administration; and
• Attending City Council meetings and various Boards and Commissions.