The Planning Services Division is responsible for interpreting and applying the Zoning Ordinance, coordinating site plan reviews, and ensuring that Madison Heights develops in a manner that is consistent with the City's Master Plan. The Planning Services Division provides administrative and technical assistance to the Planning Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, and City Council.
Maps related to planning and zoning can be accessed via the Planning / Zoning Maps page.
Planning and Zoning Maps
Additional information can be found on our interactive Property Info map tool.
Pre-Development MeetingsApplicants are encouraged to meet with Community & Economic Development staff for a predevelopment meeting prior to submitting for their Site Plan Review, Special Use, Zoning Board of Appeals, or Rezoning Application. To request a predevelopment meeting, please call (248) 837-2649 or contact the City Planner via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to make the best use of the pre-development meeting, please be ready with the following project information:
- - Location
- - Existing use
- - Proposed use
- - Intended development
- - Any preliminary sketches
- - Understanding of the surrounding land uses
- - Review the proposed use for zoning conformance;
- - Provide initial feedback on design, where applicable;
- - Outline the required process for approval of the development and general timeline;
- - Discuss potential local, county or state incentive programs where applicable;
- - Answer any other development related questions pertaining to the project.
Zoning OrdinanceThe Planning Services Division is responsible for the interpretation and application of the Zoning Ordinance. Site plan and project compliance is also conducted by this division. The Planning Division reviews plans for compliance with community standards that have been adopted in the Zoning Ordinance.
RECENTLY-ADOPTED TEXT AMENDMENTS
- 21-01: Site Plan Review
- 21-02: Area and Bulk Requirements; B-1, B-2 and B-3 Uses
- 21-03: Accessory Buildings and Structures; Flagpoles
- 21-04: Accessory and Outdoor Storage
- 21-05: M-1 and M-2 Uses
- 21-06: Outdoor Seating
- 21-09: Off-Street Parking
- 21-10: Drive-Through Uses
- 21-11: Temporary Certificates of Occupancy
- 22-01: Mobile Food Vending
The City Planner serves as the administrative liaison to the Planning Commission. The Commission is required, by State Enabling Legislation, to prepare and adopt a Master Plan and Complete Study (PDF) (High-speed connection recommended).
Recent Planning Commission agendas and minutes can be found in the Municode Meeting Portal and the Agenda Center.
Zoning Board of AppealsThe City Planner serves as liaison to the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). This Board has specific powers and duties as provided in the Zoning Ordinance and State Zoning Enabling Act. The ZBA is a quasi-judicial body, and serves as the only body at the municipal level to hear appeals on zoning issues including requests for dimensional variances from ordinance requirements, ordinance interpretations, appeals of administrative decisions, and use variances.
Recent Zoning Board of Appeals agendas and minutes can be found in the Municode Meetings portal and Agenda Center.